Task 1 for the General Training IELTS is about writing a letter – either formal, semi-formal, or informal. You are given a situation with key information to include in your letter.
What’s important are the following:
- Addressing all parts of the task question
- Writing in the appropriate tone for the situation. This means using the suitable words and phrases that are either formal, semi-formal or informal.
- Writing in a logical and organized manner so that it is clear and easy for the reader to understand your letter.
Structure for your formal letter:
- State your reason or purpose for writing the letter.
- Details of your situation. Address the 3 bullet points listed in the Task question. Make a paragraph for each one.
- A suitable closing.
Here’s a sample task from the ielts.org website:
First, decide the tone of the context. This would be formal as you’re requesting for a transfer. This also decides how you’ll organize your letter. For example, an informal letter would start with a greeting or making a personal reference that the person receiving the letter would understand. In a formal letter, you need to make things clear and structured.
Next, make a quick plan of what you’re going to write for each paragraph, addressing each requirement of the task. I don’t have to write these out but make a very quick guide.
- Your purpose; important identifying details (room number, building)
- Describe the situation: roommate has different priorities from me and I can’t study; he parties all the time, too noisy or invites too many people over
- I can’t study for my exams; several of my personal items have gone missing
- Request for another room, preferably a studio apartment (no roommates); a thank you and that you’re looking forward to hearing back from them.
Now, you write your letter.
I’ll continue with a sample letter in a future post. Feel free to ask questions.
If you want to get your writing checked – see here: http://yourieltstutor.com/essay-correctionfeedback-service/registration-and-payment-for-essay-correction-feedback-service/