The introduction should be clear and concise. It doesn’t need to be very long and grand since this is a short 250-word essay. Here’s what it should include:
- a paraphrase (use of different words but same meaning) of the topic and issue presented in the task question
- your opinion (if it is asked, please see the different types of Task 2 questions)
It should be 2 -3 sentences. Here are examples of the Task question and my introduction:
Task 2 question: More and more city workers are deciding to live in the country and travel into work everyday. The result is increased traffic congestion and damage to the environment. What measures do you suggest that would encourage people not to travel such long distances to work? (see this “suggest measures” essay)
Nowadays, more people are moving away from cities for more affordable and comfortable lifestyles in the countryside, resulting in long distance commuting to their work in the cities. Unfortunately, this leads to more traffic congestion and pollution to the environment. I believe measures such as promoting telecommuting and establishing remote offices will reduce the number of long distance commuters and therefore their impact on the environment.
- 1st & 2nd sentences paraphrase topic in task question. I don’t repeat words directly as it will affect score.
- 3rd sentence answers the task question – I suggest measures.
Task 2 question: Many children these days have an unhealthy lifestyle. Both schools and parents are equally responsible for solving this problem. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement? (see this agree/disagree essay)
In the media we often hear or read about the rising trend of children leading unhealthy lifestyles. While many believe both schools and parents share equal responsibility for solving this problem, I disagree and feel that parents are fully responsible for changing the unhealthy lifestyles of their children.
- 1st sentence paraphrases the topic given in the task.
- 2nd sentence states the claim made by some AND states my answer to the task question – whether I agree or disagree with this claim.
Task 2 question: Successful sports professionals can earn a great deal more money than people in other important professions. Some people think this is fully justified while others think it is unfair. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion. (see this “discuss and give your opinion” sample essay)
Star athletes like LeBron James, Tiger Woods, and Manny Pacquiao receive multi-million dollar contracts which are exponentially more than what other important professionals are paid. This has led to controversy over whether this is justified and fair. Although I can understand why some people feel this is unfair, I feel professional athletes are justified in receiving this pay.
- 1st sentence paraphrases the topic given in the task question. I’ve added a bit more details w/ the names only because I know these star athletes and it introduces this specific topic quite well. If you don’t know of any big pro stars, you don’t need to put any in. I don’t use the exact same words in the task – I’ve added “multi-million dollar contracts” and “exponentially more” to show a range of vocabulary.
- 2nd sentence just states what the debate is
- 3rd sentence states both views of the debate and my own opinion all in one sentence.
Task 2 question:
Our lives have greatly benefited from technological developments throughout history. While some people feel that early inventions helped ordinary people more than recent technological developments, I feel both early and recent advances have had an equally significant impact on ordinary people.
- 1st sentence paraphrases the topic in general.
- 2nd sentence states the claim (debate) from the task question AND it states my answer to the question – that I don’t agree or disagree but that I feel both are important.
Task 2 question:
In some countries, governments are encouraging industries and businesses to move to regional areas outside the big cities. Do the advantages of this trend outweigh the disadvantages?
As business growth becomes a priority worldwide, industries and businesses in some countries are being encouraged to relocate away from the big cities to regional areas. While this may have some disadvantages, I feel there are more advantages to benefit everyone.
- 1st sentence quickly introduces topic and paraphrases the task claim. I do not copy word-for-word the task question and I use synonyms, such as “relocate away from” for “move to”.
- 2nd sentence states my answer to the task question – that advantages outweigh the disadvantages.
If you practice just writing introductions quickly to sample task questions, it will become much easier on test day!
Want to get your essay writing checked? Here’s how: Essay Correction & Feedback