One type of Task 2 question is one that gives you two views about an issue and then asks you to discuss those two views and to give your opinion as well. How do you approach and organize this kind of essay?
Here’s a sample question:
Some people fear that technology is gradually taking over control of our lives, while others think that it has led to many positive developments in all aspects of their lives. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
Brainstorm examples of the two views and decide on your opinion. Here’s my brainstorm:
- Gradually taking over: people rely more and more on personal gadgets to manage things for them and we end up not being able to function without them, for example: use smartphone apps to organize their schedules, work projects, etc.; mobile devices can easily distract us and we waste a lot of time on them playing games or just chatting or tweeting with people we don’t know well on social media
- Led to positive aspects: mobile communication allows us to keep in touch/share photos & videos with distant friends and relatives, keeps us up to date in our knowledge & enables us to learn faster and more since we can have instant access to news and articles; allows us to work from home so that we don’t have to commute to work and improve work-life balance
- My opinion (after I brainstormed both views): While I believe both views hold true, I feel it’s up to each individual to decide how and when they use technology and that they can make it lead to more positive aspects in their life.
- Introduction – topic, rephrase claim, write your clear opinion
- Body Paragraph – Discuss one view – gradually taking over our lives – explain + examples
- Body Paragraph – Discuss second view – it has led to many positive aspects – explain + examples
- Conclusion – restate your opinion
I will post a sample essay in a later post. Check back later!
Want to get your essay writing checked? Here’s how: Essay Correction & Feedback